Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Sociopath

When you hear sociopath or psychopath you might think about a serial killer or someone necessarily violent. That is one type, but I have found there is a more subtle and creeping type; one that is every bit as destructive, the victim dies a slower, less obvious, death.


I thought my husband was a narcissist, and over the 20 years of marriage I periodically looked for material about narcissism. The consistent message I heard was this: they never change, they cannot change, get away as soon as possible. When our divorce began and he showed himself to have no regard for the health and wellbeing of his own child, if his chosen actions hurt me, I realized I was dealing with someone without a conscious.


A sociopath can be characterized by a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. It is defined in different ways, but can involve a lack of empathy or remorse, false emotions, selfishness, grandiosity or deceptiveness; it can also involve impulsiveness, irritability, aggression, or inability to perceive danger and protect one's self (Wikipedia).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Positive feedback and helping those that have experienced the same tragedies are what keeps me going.